William Hulme, founder of the William Hulme Charity, lived 1631-1691 in Hulme Hall, Stockport. He was a lawyer and extremely wealthy landowner whose estate covered much of what is now Central Manchester. Following the tragically premature death of his beloved son, he left provision for the foundation of exhibitions for four students to study for Bachelor of arts degrees at Brasenose College Oxford. The income for this charity was originally £64, which came from rents and dues on his many outlying properties.In 1881, the Trustees of his charity were empowered to build schools in Manchester, Oldham and Bury - they were known as the William Hulme Grammar Schools. The Manchester school, originally the Hulme Grammar School, changed its name to William Hulme's Grammar School in 1931. This school together with Bury Grammar School Boys and Oldham Hulme Grammar School owe their existence to the generosity of our founder.
The original Houses at the founding of the school were named after influential Mancunians:
Byrom - John Byrom, Poet
Dalton - John Dalton, Physicist
Fraser - James Fraser, reforming Anglican Bishop of Manchester
Gaskell - Elizabeth Gaskell, Author
Heywood - Oliver Heywood, Banker and philanthropist
Whitworth - Sir Joseph Whitworth, Engineer
The present-day Houses are named after influential Hulmeians/benefactors:
Bonnick - WHGS Teacher, 1950s-1990s Hulme - William Hulme, founder
Jones - Samuel Jones, Old Hulmeian, donor of first of the School's shields, for the form football competition Roberts - William Roberts, benefactor who donated £2000 in 1899 which was used to extend the school's grounds.