UKMT Intermediate Challenge 2020
/ Categories: News
Thursday, 6 February 2020
WHGS Maths Department are celebrating incredible results in this year’s UK Mathematics Trust (UKMT) Intermediate Challenge.
The UKMT Individual Maths Challenges are lively, intriguing multiple-choice question papers, which are designed to stimulate interest in maths in large numbers of students. The intermediate competition covers Years 9, 10 and 11, over 220,000 of the best maths students in the UK are entered for it, with the top 10% receiving gold awards, the next 15% receiving silver awards and the next 15% receiving bronze awards. Fewer than 2% of the students gained entry to the further rounds.
Out of the 120 entries across Years 8, 9, 10 and 11, the achievements were very impressive, with 48% of our highest attaining students receiving awards, which is around 10% higher than other schools nationally:
- 6 Silvers: Adeola A, Diallo O, Diana A, Maisie P, Isabel M and Amelia B.
- 13 Bronzes: Ahmed D, Ali J, Livingston P, Kian D, Rithika S, Ayomide O, Bryan R, Amal K, Komal A, Adam A, Luqman A, Mahima C and Tuba M.
- 2 Gold: Saif S and Sabeeh A.
- 6 Silvers: Dexter E, Ahmed A, Mohammad O, Muhammad H, Sami M, Inayah Q and Suhaib A.
- 7 Bronzes: Victor M, Anying L, Sarah Z, Zayd A, Shariq K, Edi E and Rajvinder K.
- 4 Silvers: Haadi S, Laraib A, Sawman J and Dana A.
- 16 Bronzes: Yahya H, Rachael M, Mahdia M, Zohaib S, Samiya A, Prshni B, Maham R, Hamza S, Zahra R, Bilal S, Aamina A, Marsha P, Mohamed S, Fatima A, Mohammed R and Jamiha S.
This year, we entered four Year 8 students and achieved:
- 1 Gold: Romain T.
- 1 Silver: Reema A.
- 1 Bronze: Chandan C.
Special congratulations also go to:
- Saif S and Sabeeh A from Year 10, who gained entry to the next round, for results that are in the top 2% nationally.
- Haadi S and Laraib A from Year 9, who gained entry to the next round, for results that are in the top 2% nationally.
- Romain T from Year 8, who gained entry to the next round, for results that are in the top 2% nationally.