Olympian Brings the Golden Touch to Presentation Evening
/ Categories: News
Rio Olympic Gold medalist Alex Danson helped William Hulme’s Grammar School honour its own superstars, with a presentation event celebrating the school’s exam success.
Held on Thursday, 22 September, in the school’s Great Hall, Chair of Governors David Marsden and Principal Peter Mulholland welcomed guests to the event, with students across all year groups rewarded for their hard work, which this summer saw 73% of Year 11s gain the new government measure of A*-C grades in both English and maths at GCSE, as well as an increase of 6% in the number of A level entries achieving A to B grades.
Supporting the event in her role as a United Learning Sports Ambassador was Alex, a member of Team GB’s Olympic gold medal winning Women’s Hockey Squad, who helped present the awards, with prizes in all subject areas, as well as recognition from Heads of Year.
Special awards were also made to the following students:
- Mohammed Aldakhlallah - Peel Prize for Mathematics
- Zak Ali - Colin Midwood Prize
- Parsa Evand-Assadi - Eric Barnes Memorial Prize and Trophy
- Mairead Fitzpatrick - Caswell Prize
- Nahdaa Jawed - Gozzard Prize for Craft and R A Haynes Prize for Photography
- Emily Jones - Graham Johnson Memorial Prize
- Rashaad Khalil - D L Griffiths Prize for Medical Students
- Saffiyah Kalique - Aspinall Religious Knowledge
- Laveeza Mahmood - The Yates Prize
- Noor Nasir - Wolstenholme Memorial Prize – Art and Design
- Natalia Nunes - Hillyard Cup and Prize
- Toreh O’Garro - Anderson English Essay and F J Smith Scholarship
- Livingston Pathmanathan - Prize for Special Music Performance
- Oliver Pollitt - James Hickman Prize for Sporting Achievement
- Kalen-Lavel Ruddock - C H Jones Prize and D M Williams Memorial Prize for Music
- Jack Sun - Woollam Scholarship
- Zenab Anwar - The Library Awards
- Aishah Qureshi - The Library Awards
- Sarwat Sheikh - Geoffrey Cocker Memorial Prize
- Taiybah Qureshi - E B Jackson Prize
- Kalen-Lavel Ruddock - J A Barber Prize
Michael Jarvis and Natalie Nunes also had cause to celebrate, with each receiving the Watkins Prize for Heads of School.
Guests at the presentation were treated to musical entertainment, with performances from Erfan Mirzaei, Zena Younis, Amaan Ullah, Peru Edmondson and Armin Mirzaei.
Commenting on the event, Peter Mulholland, Principal of William Hulme’s Grammar School, said:
“We’re delighted that Alex was able to join us to celebrate what has been another fantastic year for the school and help shine the spotlight on the real stars – our students. Congratulations to all of them on their well deserved awards.”