The curriculum intent at WHGS Primary Phase is to develop independent, self-motivated children who are excited and enthused learners. During their time here, children will master skills and obtain a deep knowledge in a breadth of subject areas, ensuring progression and depth as they continue through the Primary Phase and into their secondary education. Through our rich, stimulating and balanced curriculum pupils will be equipped with self-awareness and tolerance as our learning is underpinned by our school values- respect, ambition and compassion. Furthermore, at WHGS we are Rights Respecting School, our curriculum reflects this as links are made to pupils’ rights through their learning. Thus, empowering our students to have a voice and allowing us to instil characteristics that encourage them to contribute positively to our multi-cultural society.
At WHGS we intend to:
- Provide an engaging, wider curriculum as well as the core learning of Maths and English
- Ensure equal opportunities- removing barriers to learning, regardless of starting points.
- Teach children to take independent responsibility for their learning and behaviour.
- Encourage our children to be proud of who they are and what they do.
- Develop leaders of our school and leaders of the future.
At WHGS Primary Phase, we follow a research-driven, evidence-based teaching and learning approach. Our curriculum is implemented with high expectations, ensuring children take pride in all they do.
To support children in becoming independent, reflective learners, aware of their learning journey and next steps, they are provided with:
- Teachers who follow Rosenshine's principles of instruction.
- A knowledge organiser which outlines the learning required (including vocabulary).
- A single subject curriculum from Year 1 to Year 6.
- Baseline assessments to ensure learning is not repeated and that lessons are always purposeful.
- Formative assessment opportunities i.e. talk partners and co-operative feedback.
- Repeated low stakes quizzing to ensure retention of knowledge, enabling children to know and remember more.
- A learning journey through each unit of work that is carefully sequenced in small steps for progression and depth of learning.
- A curriculum that is designed to allow children to gain knowledge and understanding of their local community, reflecting our diversity.
- Personal Development Plans which ensure that immersive learning experiences and educational visits are planned to engage pupils in their learning.
- Access to electronic devices (such as iPads, Chromebooks and BeeBots) that are used in lessons to enhance learning outcomes.
WHGS Primary Phase demonstrates impact of our curriculum intent through the acquisition, mastery and retention of knowledge and skills. Our independent learners are well prepared for their next step into Secondary education.
If you would like to discuss the Primary Phase curriculum any further, please contact Miss J A Fishwick, Assistant Principal (Curriculum), Mrs G N Emmott, Vice Principal or Miss L S Dalton, Head of School (Primary Phase). Look out for our half termly newsletters updating you on what your child is currently learning about in school.